2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Does anyone know how close the trawlers can come to the beach ? … they shouldnt be allowed to trawl over the ground the eggs are laid in …or the breeding grounds for that matter

Caught most of my ele’s on paua , seahunter was using mussle for his …..Ive found a half crab , no legs or shell bound onto the hook to be the best bait for the eles – a shame the rig love it too tho – didnt want rig tho , once Id bagged one that is…crab presented this way outfishes paua , just ….and paua outfishes tuatua from many experiences at Spencers park ….
    Also always found mornings best for the eles ………. oh and Hipp …the area along Bayleys we fish has always been far more prolific than the likes of Coopers or even Pendarves …likely there are shellfish beds there , and the water is considerably deeper for some reason
    Permission from the cocky to cross his land is needed tho , unless you can drive miles along the beach

shark slayer
    Participant

was talking to a birdlings local who used to trawl…gave it up because he realised what a dirty destructive practise it is…1 nautical mile is the limit..but the hypocrites reckon they self impose a 5 mile limit on themselves for us fisherman…yea right!he reckoned thats another reason why he gave up because no one stuck to it…was also talking to a guy who sold his trawler last year..his wife does some shearing on the farm i live on…he sold it because he could see the fishery was declining and he was going bankrupt.there was one working from birdlings to rakaia out wide this morning and one in close going from rakaia up to birdlings…i got nothing not even a nibble..it will be nice and empty after that carry on…because the season has started late they will thrash it hard to make up for lost time…i only keep 5 per season..to be honest this year i just want to get my 5 and get the hell out…cant be bothered with this carry on.the one in close was about 700 m out..well inside the zone..was talking to a local who also got f all and he has seen them in half as close…i said to him “thats all good its well within shooting range haha. :wink: :wink: .got my ele on tua tua..my fav bait..need to get some paua though..i have a spot that is so stocked the paua are growing on top of each other..i refuse to use tuatua fresh,needs to be frozen first in my opinion.how many ele’s did you guys get ffp?

fishforpot
    Participant

I’m embarrassed to say how many lol ..we could have caught dozens and dozens …..when they are that thick it becomes a pain …I’d sooner sit back relaxing with 1 hit every hour or two …. it was literally like a supermarket

shark slayer
    Participant

you bastard..send me your gps coordinates at once!haha.im going to head further up that way next time..its certainly a lot deeper there..the beach is steeper..makes casting easier to..and your line is nice and high..got mine just 300m past bayleys access..should of got there earlier but hey not to bad considering it was a last minute dash from kaikoura…..

HIPP
    Participant

Nice reports guys, good to hear they are about, i will be out again soon, and report in, cheers, Hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

got my first sea run trout yesterday…2.3kg....stoked.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Surfcasting?

Got one in the middle of Bruce Bay once surfcasting, was quite surprised to see it so far from the river mouths.

shark slayer
    Participant

got it spin fishing mili…just got another one about 2.5 hrs ago…on a yellow 7g tasmanian devil..havn’t weighed it yet…looks to be about the same as the other....maybe a touch bigger..been a good week for me..got some nor east/nor west coming tommorrow..could be an ele weekend boys..next week looking good to. :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

The opening off the bridge over the lower Pelorus should make fishing trips to Shag point and Kaiuma bay more sensible. Suppose to shorten traveling time by 20 minutes.

Suppose the next step is to find a few good spots over there. Already have a few potential sites marked on the map, now just need to find realistic access.

elmo22
    Participant

went to spencer park last night sea clam and clean fishing 2 rods by 5.30pm left at 7.00pm just on high tide. got nothing but crab bites my bait was gone every time i wind in getting pissed of having to rebait all the time… was hoping for an ele but nothing pipi,prawn cray tail and herring for bait.. just came back from spencer park now 2pm saturday low tide and the sea is rough and windy, there people down there with a long line they were just setting it when i went down to get my whitebait gear , they were dressed up like it was winter lol

elmo22
    Participant

fishing were shark slayer for eles, birdling looked to rough on the sell map last night and this side is to rough/choppy,, or is birdling clamed down with this strong easterly have not caught a fish this summer(lol) yet, wood like one b 4 xmas

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a good couple of days here at cloudy bay.Landed seven rig and dropped a few more.All caught in bright sunlight up to mid day using crab.Had a spendid six weeks on the rig and have a talley of 39 so far.Have been using barbless hooks of late so I can release them more easily.No monsters , but up to 25lb.

elmo22
    Participant

have decided to have a beer or 2 and dream of the fish that i will catch later on, by the end of the night i will be thinking that i have already caught then and if i have more than i should i will be fishing in the gutter showing people how to cast and land them lol

luv2fish
    Participant

:grin:

1.1 metre Tope landed about an hour and a half before high tide yesterday. Broke partners reel landing it.

Caught and released 8 grey boys as well as many spiny dogs, some caught two at a time.
    Not a bad day fishing but still waiting to catch a better ele than 2 seasons ago.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I went scouting yesterday afternoon and discovered a very nice spot to try one summer evenings. 8) These no track, but the bush bash should not be overly hard.

socky

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.