2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

I had one oops where the line wrapped around the top eye , causing the cast to only go maybe 30% of the distance I was wanting ..I was experimenting with pendulum casting because the rod I was using is 16foot “first time used” and I’m suffering from Ducks disease lol …Not sure if it was during or before the cast but somehow it got looped – no shock or casting leader …end results was the braid almost snapped , worn right thru it … its that expensive shit , green 0.17mm 50lb +
    Casts a dream with one of those trigger things , first time also …..especially into the wind

Had no issues with wear on stones cause Im casting a healthy 100+ and being so high – getting a slack on might be different tho lol

The 7 giller was only maybe 20lb , but it whacked the hell out of the line – and no probs ….intesting catching the other sharks on it …could feel everything – it made me more aware of what I was feeling on the other rod – mono

Miliwolf
    Participant

Two Snappers caught tonight, with a few nibbles. Fished from 7:30 to 10:30pm.

shark slayer
    Participant

good stuff mili,went out myself for the first time in a few day’s…got a hit first cast but lost it after a small battle…few minutes later landed a 22lber ..went on an extended run and wrapped around the braid on my other rod..expensive braid might i add..made a hell of a mess lost 80 meters of braid,released that one then my other rod buckle over..a hard fight insued and a 17lber with attitude was landed…enough attitude to snap the tip on my daiwa crossfire..then landeda 13lber ..all female all released as usual…

HIPP
    Participant

Bugger about your gear shark-slayer, especially when you are good enough to rlease the females, you would think Karma would be on your side aye.

You using paddle crab?

Ive been out once to Coopers lagoon area a couple of weeks ago, noting doing, one skate and a few dogs between us all on sqid, nothing hit the prawns.

Put the crab pot in off the Diamond Harbour jetty last Saturday evening,hoping for some paddelers, just 3 large clawed none paddel crabs reddy brown colour, never seen them before, any bigger andf they would be worth eating i think.
    My cobber and his boys had a fish with raw prawn, nothing doing, fished until the rain clouds loomed just after dark.

Cheers, Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Maybe they were red rock crabs, tough looking buggers. Cut them in half, then cast them out. The Rig would not care.

Shame about the rod SS, after whitebaitng season ends, I might even go out for another rig fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a rig fish last night, Got a small male first cast,. might be my lunch today, as i were leaving the steering arm came loose on my car so had to wait for AA to come collect me at 4am makes it not really worth the effort after that

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have often worried what would happen if my car breaks down in the inhospitable places I often fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea all fixed now though, so can fish again!!

fishforpot
    Participant

Bayleys this morning ….rods in the water by 6am with a trawler right in front of us …. – rig on the beach by 6.05
    6.40am the ele’s came on the bite …..was using 2 rods with 1 bait per rod …..couldnt keep 2 rods in the water …both rods bending over at the same time twice ….
    Resorted to 1 rod , even used some smelly squid someone had left on the beach , ele’s were taking anything and everything ….
    Seahunter came with me , could hardly lift the sack he filled lol ….he caught a good sized rig , early to mid 20’s I’d estimate …
    Could have taken a truck full of fish , caught more than we wanted as it was …

I do have pics on my phone somewhere of Seahunters rig and several of the ele’s …if the daughter comes home today I’ll try to post them ….
    So yeah , ele’s are certainly here , and in large numbers

Dazza is currently at Coopers at a club event …..be interesting to see what was caught ….

HIPP
    Participant

Awsome news Fishforpot, we are heading to the Maori Church area for alook tonight (something diferant), if not then the old faithful coopers.
    Cheers, Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice, good to know the elephants have returned. I spent a couple of hours fishing the QC last night, but wanted a early start so went home before the best fishing time.

fishforpot
    Participant

Just got word , my mates group caught 1 kahawai and 2 small schoolies at Coopers ….another group turned up , well two actually , some interclub working mens club comp …. kaiapoi vrs rangiora ….. my mate didnt see them catch a thing …

Amazing the difference 10kms or so can make ….. maybe only 5 actually as we were way way down bayleys

Come to think of it , the trawler that was right in front of us , and very close in , wasnt trawling tho , it was on its way back to Lyttleton and going real slow ….. maybe cleaning the catch taken from between tauamutu and the rakia ? …would explain the lack of fish down that end ……
    Oh yeah , at one point an ele was chasing something around on the surface ….real random
    I’d recommend trying your luck down at Bayleys …

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to birdlings last night with my brother….didnt even get a bite.

HIPP
    Participant

Well, after reading fishforpots exciting report we headed off to the beach with the greatest of antisipation, arriving at a spot between Coopers and the Maroi Church, as we came onto the beach it was encouroging to see a few other groups, a quick glance around and a guys is cleaning a Kahawai in the surf, a look to my right and a woman is just landing another medium sized Kahawai,(they left with half a dozen or so) birds are working up and down the shore.
    You beauty, all is looking good, off to the distace a couple of vehicles at the Coopers end and at least two rods down by the Maori Church…..wait a sec, casting in, its a bit cool, blowing southerlyish…and the folkes are all packing up one by one….never fear its supposed to turn NW,
    I had a poke round the beach and found 3 large Ele heads and one smaller, choice:) abit more of a poke, some fresh mussels left by some one, some paddel crab and some cooked prwans, bit dissapointed that these were left in bags!!!!, however, we used some of the bait as we were getting through it, crabs I suspect! save the good bait for last light Im thinking…. it turned NW and it warmed up again, Kahawai I think splashing around too far out to cast to, but good to see, Mullet or simular working right on the edge of the surf, Cucumberfish getting driven up onto the beach…..something is bound to happen I think,I take my gear off and swap to a spinner for a while, no joy. light is starting to fade, a single person on a quad joins in for a while, its after dark now and still nothing…..and thats the way it stayed till we finally caved in around 10.45pm….alass no fish for the freezer,nothing liked our fresh prawns, fresh mussel, paddel crab and even a finely threaded on cucumberfish….. nice to see and hear of some activity though.
    Hope you guys did better, cheers, Hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

yea hipp..got the rig on crab..actually one was on a double raw prawn combo.been a busy few days for me, and looks like the karma has shifted in my favour..went up the coast on saturday..stopped off at conway to try for ele’s…only sign on the beach was a few rig heads..first baits in on the change of light..tried all the usual bait’s,squid,raw and cooked prawn,crab,tuatua..no ele’s just rig ..got two 19 and 27lbs..stopped using crab after that as i wanted eles but got none.tried again in the morning 5am-9…just a dogfish.bugger this i thought..blasted to kaikoura to my spot,caught 30 kahawai in 2 hour’s..havn’t been able to spin for kahawai for 2 years because of wrist surgery’s so i kept a bag limit released the rest…wont need anymore for the rest of the season.then i thought to myself..conditions will be perfect at birdlings and i had actually planned to fish there on sunday morning…anyhow i jumped in the car and blasted to chch,then blasted my way up past bayleys…got there at 9 chucked out a bait…bam over went the rod and a wee cow ele was landed…turned out to be the only one of the night but i ain’t complaining i was stoked…glad no one was there to see me acting like a 12 year old on a sugar rush…was a special fish for me,first one in two years because of brutal wrist surgerys.tried again last night and again at dawn this morning but only result was 3 small tope…the trawler’s are absolutely hammering the place…gonna head out tonight or tommorrow before these southwesters mess it up…well done to you fishforpot and thanks for the report…..im out…oh also i lost my digital cam and my fillet knife..so only have a shit phone photo but here is the ele…

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.