2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

had a wee fish tonight for about 40 mins.just a smallish male on a double prawn combo…eratic fight,ended up getting tangled in my other line,took a while to unhook him,probably should of kept it but it swam away alright..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Despite the fairly cold conditions I went snapper fishing, the water was a bit chilly but my spot was sheltered from the cold breeze. The fishing was fairly slow, with a pannie being caught just after dark, when it was properly dark I caught this fellow. Knew he was good size, although not that big. Walked out at low tide which was a little after 10pm.

“>
    Snapper by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

shark slayer
    Participant

nice snaps there mili well done.thinking about heading up that way and having a go myself this season,what time of year is most productive?

Miliwolf
    Participant

This time of year, or the autumn,

So October-November, March to first half of May.

kaikourafisho
    Participant

nice snapper miliwolf well done . what part of sounds you fishing ?
    ive wanted to catch a snapper landbased for long time but had no luck .
    last time i got one was in my boat in tory channel last year bout this time !
    dont supose you could also give me tip on what bait an rig to use ??

Miliwolf
    Participant

Strayline with whole anchovy for bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Climbed over the rocks and fished spot M from 7pm to 10pm. The sea was very calm, making the scramble along the cliff edge much less fun then usual. The fishing was slow, only caught a single wrasse. After dark saw all kinds of interesting creatures in the rock pools. Also spotted a couple of marble trout lazing in the shallows of a gut. There was nothing in my berely trail.

Did have lots of fun climbing over the rocky coastlines while waiting for a bite. Going to photograph myself standing on a rock pinnacle next time I got out there. Did see one penguin on my trip back to the car.

shark slayer
    Participant

have had no internet connection all week,went moki fishing last week,got a strike an jumped up thinking it was a moki,my phone flew out of my pocket an landed in the briney…needless to say that was the end of that..i use my phone as a modem to my laptop..worst part was it just turned out to be a banded wrass.man it hit hard..they are usually dogfish like.put in about 30 hours chasing ele’s last week with only a small female rig and a dogfish to show for my effort…none of the locals have been catching either…shit start to the season..i think all this cold weather is the culprit..and crab population is out of control…big stacks of ele for sale at new world today though and the trawlers are busy…

troutfishernz
    Participant

Anyone know much about Rig fishing in the Tasman/Nelson area?
    I’m moving to the Tasman district in 3 weeks and had a look at some of the channels there a couple of months ago and they looked perfect for Rig but have never heard of any caught there.

had a quick look at a beach near Timaru on the way home today but the easterly was strong and water was filthy so didn’t bother fishing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I believe they do occur there, but have no first hand experience. Maybe PM hardy, he has a mate which does quite a bit of surfcasting in and around Nelson.

shark slayer
    Participant

birdlings flat the other day….
    last nights effort…23lb
    fishing 600m south of bayleys tonight,conditions look good but a trawler has already been through…lets hope..

elmo22
    Participant

fished south rakaia on thursday night missed the top of tide,fished from 6.00pm to approx 7.30 pipi and cray for bait nothing, fished firday 2.00-6.00pm got only 3 dog fish..nothing on the beach,no old fish.the beach was bare of any sign of fish that may of been caught..heard that a couple of greyboys were caught a bit down from me..sea was good on thursday but dirty on firday with a strong cold wind that made casting any distance hard

fishforpot
    Participant

Fished Kaikoura North Saturday arvo and First thing Sunday …. the bird workups were the biggest Ive seen them in ages ….fish boiling up on the surface etc
    I kept clear of the creeks to avoid the Kahawai – trying for carrots …..
    Fishing was not good tho .. 1 crab , 1 kahawai , 1 red cod , 1 skate , 1 seven giller , 2 school sharks , 1 carpet shark and 8 of those things nobodys like to hear about lol …
    Used braid off the beach for the first time , was very interesting ….

yellowfin
    Participant

A group of us fished Kaikoura on the weekend. Decent fishing on Friday but quiet on Saturday. The only gurnard caught was from a kayak. A pregnant 45lb school shark was caught, the guy wanted to keep it so we released about 20 baby sharks from it, I think they all swam off OK.

shark slayer
    Participant

only 3 dogs along birdlings the other night,no elephants yet..looks like this season is going to be a shitty one in canterbury.went mullet fishing off the rocks on saturday,was having a blast catching the numerous mullet in my berley trail,then they went shy and headed out deeper….whats going on here…i looked down and saw what i thought was a moki swimming around but then realised i was looking at the tail of a sevengiller…it then turned and came to the rocks edge to check me out…they have turned up the exact same time they do every year…same with the rig…so one must assume there is something else going on other than weather with the eles….what do you guy’s think????hey fishforpot, i have spooled all my reels with braid this year but havn’t fished kaikoura with it yet..did you have any probs with abrasion or bust offs??

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.