2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Duckman
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone fished at the car park by waimak mouth? I’d love to know what fish can be caught down there, I really wanna try get rig shark.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice rig there duckman congrats..quite a few males around at the moment..i usually only keep males as a rule or females of ten lb or less as they don’t have pups.hey boomslang i have heard of rig and eles in the waimak mouth before,and they are definitely off kairaki beach both south and north sides of the mouth…havn’t you tried the pines yet??

yellowfin
    Participant

All 3 rig at Amberley were males, biggest 12lb. There’s schoolies around at birdlings just small ones like everywhere else, the bigger ones usually aren’t around till around december/january.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ele’s should be around by now but haven’t heard much from either side of the peninsula. Tried to get some tua tua’s yesterday but couldn’t find any.

elmo22
    Participant

you can get rig and eles at spencer park and down to the waimac mouth, the seas is to dirty for eles at the moment was down there today at the mouth baiting

shark slayer
    Participant

nice rig zac.i was catching nice eating schoolies 15-30lb at birdlings early october last year,and got 4 over 25kg first was early november…but caught none so far at birdlings this year just getting crabbed or nothing..i was gonna go baiting to elmo but my spot was taken,how did you get on? fishing a secret spot tonight,just a small shooly 5-6lb and a skate so far(pics to come later)and just had a strike from a rig or ele but failed to hook up…we shal see how the rest of the night goes….

troutfishernz
    Participant

Definitely good numbers of Elephants down here (have seen several landed) but getting the condition’s right is hard, Was going to go out tomorrow but today’s southerly would have roughed things up.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Think its time for a adventure, if I am over my cold and the weather plays nice, I am keen to check out my not so secret Kingfish spot next weekend, overnight trip. Probably Friday evening-Saturday. Nice people have made a track out to the point and installed permanent rod holders.

Let me know if anyones interested in joining me.

shark slayer
    Participant

would be keen as if i lived up that way…got some kingi spots around herei am going to try this summer..gonna buy an air generater for the bait bucket to keep the fish lively..i think its burkley or rapala that make them..only cost 40.00 or so.your lucky mili you should have a better than even chance of hooking a kingi up your way if you put in the time..would be amazing to see one on here,,good luck :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Where abouts you thinking milli? Blenheim way? I would be pretty keen on kingis as I’ve never hooked one before

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeap, in the Sounds.

beameer
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    been chasing the bait abit lately Rakaia has been terrible over the last month ,had a very long spell of large ground swell southerlys ,been out surfcasting from between Smith’s rd all the way to the lake cut ,the other night between 6 rods the guys only caught a few doggies and several small grey boys,the high lite a skate of about 5kg, I fished with premo crab bait …nothing ,have been using it the last four trips and haven’t had one bite.The only sign were several elle heads on the beach out from Maori Church.We later heard they were from the local kontiki boys.
    The fishing this side is very poor all round and although I am not superstitious it hasn’t been any good since the recent tragedy at the mouth.

shark slayer
    Participant

yes beamer,the fishing around birdlings and up the spit is shit at the moment,ian was saying he got a small male ele a month ago but none since,as for a lice ridden body floating around or bad juju from the incident at the mouth making the fishing bad…i can think of many sensible reasons as to why…maybe its the non stop cold weather from the south we have had…coupled with the fact that each year this area gets hammered my wanker commercial trawlers dickheads with kontiki’s who cant work out how to use a fishing rod and also recreational fisherman who take way more rig and ele’s than they would ever need most of wich are spawning fish that are pregnant…those are all much more logical reasons.I fished at birdlings the other night and there were two groups of people either side of me setting kontiki’s non stop over a four hour period….that sort of s#@t dosn’t help..or maybe its because last year i had wrist surgery and missed the ele season and now that im fighting fit there aint any fish around :)

shark slayer
    Participant

went for a rig fish tonight..nothing.no rig yesterday either just a smallish shool shark and a skate…both caught on a half mullet wrapped in squid straylined..was meant for a ray..also caught another snail thing.. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.