2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

My Mrs wanted to go for a fish, So i took her to Akaroa yesterday, was not as nice weather wise as we hoped, and the fish talley was lower than i wanted, but good compared to others who caught none, fished for about an hour with a few small fish before something grabbed my big bait, was a small conger the result , and hour or so later a skate grabbed it again followed by another one,

The end result was one conger 2 skate 12 mullet 1 spotty 4 cocibillies and 3 starfish, the Mrs even asked to go again,

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tonight in the sounds
    “>
    Two Rods HDR by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Caught nothing, had a few nibbles. Retreated to the car when it started to rain shortly after 9. Was not prepared and did not want to get my lenses wet.

troutfishernz
    Participant

First time out surfcasting this season today. Went to the beach behind the fuel tanks at Timaru as I didn’t have time to go to
    St Andrews which is my favorite spot.

Fished for 2 hours using Cooked prawn and didn’t even get a bite Then switched over to Squid and caught a couple of Dogfish.

Might give it a couple of weeks then go to St Andrews as I know there are Elephant fish there. For some reason the beaches in and close to Timaru don’t fish that well but Beaches further North and South seem to produce fish.

shark slayer
    Participant

just 3.5lb of bait today.was going to go for a rig fish tonight,conditions were good but i was to tired from whitebaiting.Busy for next few days,then need to get serious about chasing the eles…

elmo22
    Participant

good catch of bait there what river you fish over your way.. not much bait in the why-mac the last few times ive been out

kaikourafisho
    Participant

well done zac nice rig i also had some luck on friday night with a 9kg rig at bout 9.20 pm put up a good fight
    caught it on a paddle crab a ray spewed up earyer in the night . caught to rays in a row then the rig all
    had paddle crabs in there mouths .

oompalompa
    Participant

elmo22

kaikourafisho
    Participant

what part of Birdlings flats you fish zac ? by the car park or down abit

yellowfin
    Participant

Usually fish down a bit either at the aerials I think it’s called or further south to baileys. Can catch rig all along the beach though so don’t think it matters.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Excellent weather up here at the moment, days are unpleasantly hot but nights are warm and quite nice. Targeted Moki from 7-10pm at Monkey Bay and not even a nibble. Little blue penguins did provide a bit of entertainment. One almost climbed over my leg :shock:

Used three types of bait (raw prawn, mussels and limpets), tide was 9pm.

Just wish I would get over my cold, or whatever illness it is so I can do same proper fishing trips shortly.

yellowfin
    Participant

“Mr Ginga” – where abouts in Akaroa did you fish? I’ve fished from the end of the pier (where the dolphin cruises leave from) – its about as easy fishing as you”ll get anywhere and even has a nice bench to sit on while you’re waiting for some action. Last time there a dolphin poped up just a couple of feet off the end of the pier – had to laugh thinking about all those people who had spent $100’s to take a boat to see them!

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes we fished off the end of the wharf there, was very dissapointing though

shark slayer
    Participant

hey elmo,barrys bay stream fishes okay and le bons bay…all the smaller ones are a waste of time..the old retired guys around her almost live in them and its impossible to get a spot worth fishing…im gonna head out for a morning bait hopefully,the tides are good and the southerly should scare away all the crowds.went to birdlings flat last night,just after i arrived ian robertson(birdlings flat)stopped for a chat,he had caught nothing but said he got a male ele about a month ago.i chucked out my ele baits and waited for some action,but what followed was four hours of the worst fishing i have ever experienced at birdlings flat..nothing on the ele baits,tried for rig with crab..nothing,even mullet wrapped with squid got no attention..not a nibble for four hour’s..ian was saying there has been no school sharks yet…very weird.i have seen trawlers coming past peraki bay heads towards birdlings for a couple of months now,saw one tonight aswell….you can bet that is part of whats going on,lets hope the fishing improves….

shark slayer
    Participant

nice catch there fisho.

Duckman
    Participant

Went to Ambo last nite, met up with Zac and we both caught rig me 1 zac 2 so first rig for me for the season, caught on crab, zac has the photo’s as me camera was flat

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.