Re: 2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Miliwolf
Participant

Recently been on a two week trip around the North Island and I got a bit of fishing in, overall the fishing was not great, the weather was not great and all that I caught were Rays.

Day 1: Crossed cook strait and drove up to Taupo, was dark when I got there. Took a few photos. Next morning heard the river mouths were producing good numbers but decided to move on.
Day 2: Spent Night at Whangarei, got there to late to scout out fishing spots.
Day 3: Up to the far north, the weather was terrible and it pissed with rain until just on dusk. Fished the harbor and only caught Rays.
Day 4: Was fine, then wet, then fine, then wet… Wind was strong all day. Fished Wharf in morning for nothing. Scouted out a few spots, Went for a fish from a few rocks. The only fish probably a kingie took my snapper rod and broke me off. Was one powerful fish. After a few hours got sick of getting soaked every 45 minutes so drove south looking for more shelter.
Day 5: evening fish on KeriKeri Peninsula, more rain, wind and rays.
Day 6: evening fish Whangaerei Heads, wind and rays.
Day 7: Climbed a volcanol, was going to spend night in Auckland but was to busy so went to Rotorua instead. The massive trout in Rainbow and Paradise springs are always worth a look.

Spent next few days slowly heading home, via Waitomo Caves, New Plymouth, Wanganui. Watched a few guys catching Red Cod from the Wanganui breakwater.

“>
P9140116 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
P9140115 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
View from Mount Manaia by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
Sunset, Fish and Refinery by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
P9080056 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr