Reply To: Latest Catches

yellowfin
Participant

Good stuff with getting those mullet HEAD, and the salmon! I am still yet to find the mythical over 1kg mullet, I look forward to when I do.

I went to Timaru yesterday as I’ve heard good things so went for a fish.

The bait of choice was mussel! Mullet attracted one cod and 3 dogfish but that was it. The rest of my hook ups were on mussel. (1 cockabully on chicken heart! LOL).

The day seemed to start fairly slow arriving about 1 hour 30 min before high tide, I got a fairly good sized mullet to start on my sabiki. Some time went by and about 30 min after high tide I hooked into a small salmon would you believe, so yes they are there. Caught on the sabiki with a small piece of mussel on the hook. Inside the salmons stomach it had little silver fish about 6cm long, not sure what they were but yeah…..so maybe a small sliver jig might work at the harbour? Or a flasher type sabiki.

As evening approached and the sun starting going down thats when the cod started biting! Even though the tide was starting to be a fair way out the cod were still about. My first cod was my biggest for the day, got about 10 other cod but they were on the small side. I kept two more so 3 cod all up for the night. 3 or so of the cod I got were quite fat little things and very pinkish in colour, I could’ve taken them home and eaten them but after filliting etc thought I wont bother so put them back.

Nearly got a big crab to the top of the wharf at one point but it fell off.

“>

The Salmon

“>

First Red Cod

“>

Small cod, put back

“>

Fat little very pinkish cod, put back

“>

Nice red cod here, kept this one

“>

The evenings rewards. It an’t snapper or blue cod but it’s ok, got a nice plate full of fillets out of the cod.

Was quite fun at Timaru indeed and will be heading back at some point soon.

Cheers
Aaron